Department of Magnetic Materials
Contact DataPhone: + 34 935 801 853
Fax: + 34 935 805 729
Dep: Magnetic Materials and Functional Oxides
My research career has been focused on the study of magnetic and transport properties of functional complex oxides. The main objective has been to understand the interrelationship between microstructural features and the observed functional properties.
I got my PhD degree at the University of Santiago de Compostela in 1990 with a work about the thermodynamic fluctuations in high temperature copper oxide superconductors. During these years I have been also involved in the study of the influence of structural inhomogeneities into the magnetotransport properties of single crystal superconductors. In 1996 I have joined the Laboratoire de Physique des Solides at University of Orsay-France to study the influence of columnar defects created by heavy-ion irradiation in the vortex pinning properties of superconducting thin films. Vortex matter in high temperature superconductors has relevant interest from a fundamental point of view as a model system with competing interactions but also from an applied point of view to increase the current carrying capabilities of superconductors. In 2002 I have joined the Instituto de Ciencia de Materiales de Barcelona- ICMAB-CSIC to study the growth of superconducting wires from chemical methods. I have dedicated an intense effort to thin film preparation and characterization. My work has allowed to demonstrate the capabilities of chemical methods to prepare low cost epitaxial thin films with improved properties. We have study the mechanism controlling nucleation and growth of thin films and we have developed novel approaches to improve their vortex pinning properties.
Since 2007 I am deeply involved in studying new routes to prepare nanostructures in oxide thin films. Nowadays I concentrate my efforts in investigating the interplay between preparation and growth of nanostructured materials and their physical properties (as vortex pinning capabilities, magnetoresistance response, …). In particular I am interested in the role of epitaxial strain relaxation mechanisms in the formation of long-range ordered nanostructured and its influence on the magnetotransport properties of oxide thin films.
Doctor in Physics by Universidad de Santiago (1995)
Most significative academic merits
· Coordinator of H2020-MSCA-RISE-DAFNEOX-645658
· IP Proyecto i-COOP+ - COPA20106
· IP de Proyecto “Ramón y Cajal” y Proyecto Intramural Especial CSIC.
· 2 PhD thesis:
- “Fast growth of YBaCuO superconducting films: microstructure and properties”, Katerina Zalamova, Mayo 2009
- “Growth and characterization of chemical solution based nanostructured coated conductors with CeO2 layers”, Roxana Vlad, Mayo 2011
· 2 Tesis doctorales en curso: Víctor Fuentes y Jorge Flores
· 97 artículos en revistas y 12 capítulos en libros, monografías. Destacan,
- Nature Materials 6, 367 (2007); 11, 329 (2012)
- Physical Review Letters 85, 2809 (2000); 110, 107206 (2013)
- Advanced Materials 20, 3672 (2008)
- Chemistry Materials 18, 5897 (2006); 18, 6211 (2006); 22, 1686 (2010)
- 11 artículos en Physical Review B.
· Citas totales > 1950.
· Indice h=24
· 5 patentes licenciadas: PCT/ES2010/070577, PCT/ES2010/070798.
· 12 conferencias invitadas en congresos internacionales
- MRS Spring Meeting, SCENET, Electroceramics, ...
· 18 presentaciones orales en congresos:
- MRS Spring Meeting, MRS Fall Meeting, Joint European Meeting Symposia-JEMS, ASC, EUCAS, M2-HTSC, CIMTEC,...
· Experto evaluador de ANEP, ANPCYT (Argentina)
· · Referee de revistas: PRL, PRB, SUST, MRS, ...
Premio NOVARE-ENDESA (2007)
MRS Outstanding Meeting Paper (2006)
Premio Extraordinario Doctorado (1995)
IndicatorsNumber Articles: 97 Number Theses: 2 Number Patents: 2
1. Formation of Self-Organized Mn3O4 Nanoinclusions in LaMnO3 Films
Frontiers in Physics 4, 41 (2016)
2. Strain-Engineered Ferromagnetism in LaMnO3 Thin Films
Crystal Growth & Design 15, 5332–5337 (2015)
3. Transport properties of La2/3Sr1/3MnO3/LaAlO3/Pt tunnel junctions
Journal of Applied Physics 117, 103909 (2015)
4. Growth kinetics engineered magnetoresistance response in La2/3Sr1/3MnO3 thin films
Applied Physics Letters 104, 152406 (2014)
5. Competing Misfit Relaxation Mechanisms in Epitaxial Correlated Oxides
Phys Rev Lett 110, 107206 (2013)
6. Nanoscale strain-induced pair suppression as a vortex-pinning mechanism in high-temperature superconductors
Nature Materials 11, 329-336 (2012)