Head of NANOMOL Department and Group Leader of CIBER-BBN
Scientific Director of ICTS NANBIOSIS
Prof. Jaume Veciana is a Full Professor at the Institut de Ciencia de Materials de Barcelona, ICMAB-CSIC, Group Leader at CIBER-BBN, and Scientific Director of the Large Facility ICTS NANBIOSIS. After his PhD, he did a postdoc at The Johns Hopkins University (USA) working on molecular electronics. His current research interest focuses on Molecular Nanoscience and Technology, and Nanomedicine. Prof. Veciana co-authored more than 550 journal articles, 16 international patents, and edited two books receiving in 2001 the Solvay Award, in 2004 the Real Sociedad de Quimica Española Award and in 2005 the DuPont Award for his contributions in Molecular Nanoscience.
Research interests are focused on the design, synthesis, and processing of functional –(poly)radicals, electroactive, redox, bioactive, etc- organic molecules/polymers as advanced functional molecular materials and their applications in the following areas and topics:
- Unimolecular Electronics and Molecular Spintronics
- Molecular and Supramolecular Switches
- E-skin Devices based on Conducting Nanocomposite Thin-films
- Multifunctional Nanovesicles for Therapy, Diagnosis, and Theranosis Applications
- Molecular Materials for Tissue Engineering and Cell Therapies
BcS in Chemistry; Barcelona University (June 1973)
PhD in Chemistry; Barcelona University (November 1977)
Doctorate, University and Year:
Doctor in Chemical Sciences; Barcelona University (November 1977
Organic free radicals and high-spin molecules; Nanostructuring and processing of molecular materials; Supramolecular organizations and materials; Molecular electronicss; Molecular Spintronics; Molecular magnetism; Molecular nanoscience and technology; Nanomedicine
KeywordsChemistry of materials, multifunctional molecular materials, molecular nanoscience and technology, and nanomedicine
Research Award of “Fundación Domingo Martínez”, 1995/1996.
XV Award SOLVAY to Research in Chemical Sciences; 2001.
2004 Prize of the Real Sociedad Española de Química y
2004 FEIQUE Medal.
XV DuPont Prize of Science 2005.
“Sabadell Ciutat Emprenedora” 2010 Award (3rd Edition) for the best bussines resarch project to NANOMOL TECHNOLOGIES SA, leaded by J. Veciana, N. Ventosa y S. Sala.
Special Mention of EXPOQUIMIA I+D+i 2011 for the best bussines resarch project to NANOMOL TECHNOLOGIES SA, , leaded by J. Veciana, N. Ventosa y S. Sala.
IndicatorsNumber Articles: 557 Number Citations: 13121 Number Theses: 25 Number Patents: 16 Hfactor: 57
Main scientific-technical achievements in the last 10 years:
• Cellular growth engineering by the nanostructuration of a bacterial protein aggregates on different surfaces.
• Development of a new platform for the encapsulation of biomolecules with therapeutic activity in nanovesicles by the use of compressed fluids.
• Discovery and development of a new type of non-liposomal vesicles, called quatsomes, that present an unprecedented stability.
• Obtaining and study of new radical molecules for their use as contrast and nuclear polarizing agents in magnetic resonance techniques.
• Development of non-volatile memory devices and switches from electro-active radical molecules anchored on a surface with commutability properties.
• Development of piezo- and pyro- resistive films as high-sensitivity deformation, temperature and infrared radiation sensors.
• Development of a contact lens for the non-invasive monitoring of intraocular pressure through the use of piezo resistive films.
• Use of organic free radicals as active components for molecular spintronics