NANOPARTICLES AND NANOCOMPOSITES
Contact DataPhone: + 34 935 801 853
Fax: + 34 935 805 729
NANOPARTICLES AND NANOCOMPOSITES
I have a background in Physics and I did my MSc and PhD studies in materials science. My MSc Thesis was on Al-based metallic glasses and nanocrystalline under the supervision of Prof. Dolors Baró, at the Physics Department of Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, where I was also Teaching Assistant. In 2001 I started my PhD on iron oxides in silica matrices under the supervision of Prof. Anna Roig and Prof. Elies Molins, at ICMAB. After my PhD I was appointed as staff researcher at http://www.saint-gobain-recherche.fr/en to work in the development of glass-ceramics for the Innovative Materials Division. After 4 years of enriching industrial experience I decided reintegrating academic research and could secure a 5-year Ramón y Cajal contract to start independent research at ICMAB. Since 2014 I am a CSIC Tenured Scientist and I lead specific research lines in the Nanoparticles and Nanocomposites Group.
I am a materials scientist interested in the synthesis and understanding of functional materials through the study of structure-properties relationships. My current research focuses are: I-Understanding functional properties based on the cross-linked relations between spins, charge, orbitals and lattice in oxides and its potential applications in Information Technologies. II- Stabilisation of new oxide phases. III-Use of sol-gel chemistry for preparing nanostructured or nanocomposite materials. IV-Integration of thin films on technological substrates by physical and chemical methods. I was formerly doing research in metallic glasses, nanocrystalline alloys and glass-ceramics.
1999-2001 MSc in Physics, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
1993-1998 BSc in Physics, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Doctorate, University and Year:
2001-2006 PhD in Physics, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
- Magnetic materials (iron oxide nanoparticles and thin films)
- Porous Materials (Silica, Carbon, Bacterial Cellulose)
- Functional Nanocomposites
- Electrochemical Sensors
Most significative academic merits
- Tenured Scientist CSIC (2014)
- Ramón y Cajal Fellow (2010)
- Outstanding PhD Thesis Award, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (2006)
IndicatorsNumber Articles: 52 Number Citations: 931 Number Theses: 1 Number Patents: 5 Hfactor: 20
1. J.L. Garcia-Muñoz, A. Romaguera, F. Fauth, J. Nogués, M. Gich,* Unveiling a new high-temperature ordered magnetic phase in ε-Fe2O3, Chem. Mater. 29 (2017) 9705-9713.
2. M. Gich,* I. Fina, A. Morelli, F. Sánchez, M. Alexe, J. Gàzquez, J. Fontcuberta, A. Roig, Multiferroic Iron Oxide Thin Films at Room Temperature, Adv. Mater. 26 (2014) 4645-4652.
3. A. Carretero-Genevrier M. Gich, L. Picas, J. Gàzquez, D. L. Drisko, D. Grosso, C. Boissière, J. Rodriguez-Carvajal, C. Sanchez, Soft-Chemistry Based Routes to Epitaxial Quartz Films on Silicon, Science 340 (2013) 827-83
4. M. Gich,* C. Frontera, A. Roig, E. Taboada, E. Molins, H. R. Rechenberg, J. D. Ardisson, W. A. A. Macedo, C. Ritter, V. Hardy, J. Sort, V. Skumryev, J. Nogués, High and low temperature crystal structure of ε-Fe2O3 and their correlation to its magnetic properties, Chem. Mater. 18 (2006) 3889-3897.
5. M. Popovici, M. Gich,* D. Nižňansky, C. Savii, Ll. Casas, E. Molins, K. Zaveta, C. Enache, J. Sort, S. de Brion, G. Chouteau, J. Nogués, Optimized synthesis of the elusive ε-Fe2O3 phase by sol-gel chemistry Chem. Mater. 16 (2004) 5542-5548.