In 2007 I obtained my PhD in Materials Science (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona), having performed the research in the Materials Science Institute of Barcelona (ICMAB-CSC). I devoted my time to the microstructural analysis of superconducting thin films by means of Transmission Electronic Microscopy (TEM). After the PhD, I enrolled, for almost three years, in the STEM Group of the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) with a postdoctoral fellowship of the Spanish Ministry for Science and Education and under the supervision of Dr. Maria Varela and Dr. Steve Pennycook. In September 2010 I joined back the ICMAB as a JAE-doc. In 2013 I could secure a 5-year Ramón y Cajal contract to start independent research at ICMAB.
My research concentrates on establishing relations between the structure, chemistry and physical properties of transition-metal oxide nanostructures. The role of reduced dimensionality and the structure of interfaces, point defects, dislocations, etc, remains obscure in many cases but are central to macroscopic materials properties. Imaging interfaces and defects at sub-Angstrom resolution, chemical mapping at atomic level are some of the hot points to be addressed in materials science. The richness of an aberration corrected scanning transmission electron microscopy (STEM), in which a very tiny electron probe (of the order of 1 Å) is scanned over the specimen, is to collect several signals in parallel, allowing to combine structural imaging and spectroscopic imaging, electron energy loss spectroscopy (EELS) for example, with atomic resolution.
1993-1999 BSc in Physics, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Doctorate, University and Year:
2002-2007 PhD in Physics, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Physics; Physic chemistry; Interfaces; Electronic structure; Magnetism; Superconductivity; STEM; EELS
Most significative academic merits
My scientific work has led significant results that have been published in 96 refereed research papers in international journals, including Physical Review Letters, Nature, Science, Nature Materials, Nano Letters, Advanced Materials, ACS Nano, receiving more than 3300 citations, more than 3000 times cited without self-citations. My h-index is 29. I am the co-author of five book chapters and three Spanish patents.
- Ramón y Cajal Fellow (2013)
IndicatorsNumber Articles: 96 Number Citations: 3300 Number Theses: 3 Number Patents: 3 Hfactor: 30
1. J. Gazquez; M. Stengel; R. Mishra; M. Scigaj; M. Varela; M.A. Roldan; J. Fontcuberta; F. Sanchez; G. Herranz.Competition between polar and nonpolar lattice distortions in oxide quantum wells: a new critical thickness at polar interfaces. PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS. 119 – 106102 (2017).
2. J. Gazquez, R. Guzman, R. Mishra, E. artolome, J. Salafranca, C. Magen, M. Varela, M. Coll, A. Palau, S.M. Valvidares, P. Gargiani, E. Pellegrin, J. Herrero-Martin, S. Pennycook, S.T. Pantelides, T. Puig and X. Obradors. Emerging diluted ferromagnetism in high-Tc superconductors driven by point defect clusters. ADVANCED SCIENCE,1500295 (2016).
3. P. Wadley; V. Novak; R.P. Campion; C. Rinaldi; X. Marti; H. Reichlova; J. Zelezny; J. Gazquez; M.R. Roldan; M. Varela; D. Khalyavin; S. Langridge; D. Kriegner; F. Maca; J. Masek; R. Bertacco; V. Holy; A.W. Rushforth; B.L. Gallagher; C.T. Foxon; J. Wunderlich; T. Jungwirth. Tetragonal phase of epitaxial room-temperature atiferromagnet CuMnAs. NATURE COMMUNICATIONS. 4 – 2322 (2013).
4. A. Llordes; G. Garcia; J. Gazquez; D.J. Milliron. Tunable near-infrared and visible-light transmittance in nanocrystal-in-glass composites. NATURE. 500, pp. 323 – 327 (2013).
5. A. Carretero-Genevrier; M. Gich; L. Picas; J. Gazquez; J. Rodriguez-Carvajal; C. Boissiere; D. Grosso; C. Sanchez. Soft Chemistry Based Routes to Epitaxial alpha-Quartz thin Films with Tunable Textures. SCIENCE. 340 - 6134, pp. 827 - 831 (2013).
6. Juan Salafranca*; Jaume Gazquez*; Nicolas Perez; Amilcar Labarta; Sokrates T. Pantelides; Stephen J. Pennycook; Xavier Batlle; Maria Varela. Surfactant Organic Molecules Restore Magnetism in Metal-Oxide Nanoparticle Surfaces. NANO LETTERS. 12 - 5, pp. 2499 - 2503 (2012).
7. Jaume Gazquez; Weidong Luo; Mark P. Oxley; Micah Prange; Maria A. Torija; Manish Sharma; Chris Leighton; Sokrates T. Pantelides; Stephen J. Pennycook; Maria Varela. Atomic-Resolution Imaging of Spin-State Superlattices in Nanopockets within Cobaltite Thin Films. NANO LETTERS. 11 - 3, pp. 973 – 976 (2011).