Wed, 31 October 2018: PhD Defense by Jordi Martínez at 11 am (F. Ciències UAB)
- News 11 October 2018 475 hits
The Surface Chemistry of Metal Fluoride Nanocrystals
Date: Wednesday, 31 October 2018
Time: 11 am
Venue: Sala de Graus, Facultat de Ciències, UAB
Abstract: This thesis is mainly based on the understanding the synthesis and the final behaviour of the surface of LnF3 nanocrystals. In consequence, this knowledge will allow the control and manipulation of the bridge between synthesis and applications, currently called surface chemistry.
Starting from the successful synthesis of fifteen different types of inorganic nanocrystals, the general trends of metal fluoride nanocrystals is successfully unravelled. A new kind of ionic self-assembly in colloidal systems is postulated and thermodynamically stable patchy nanocrystals also obtained. Using experimental techniques and molecular dynamics simulations, a self assembly mechanism also applicable to other kind of systems is postulated and we demonstrate that the different facets of the patchy nanoparticles can be modified selectively.
- Dr. Susagna Ricart, ICMAB
- Dr. Ramon Yañez, UAB
- Dr. Jordi Faraudo, ICMAB
- President: Dr. Daniel Maspoch, ICREA Research Professor, Supramolecular NanoChemistry & Materials Group, ICN2
- Secretary: Dr. Anna Llordes, Solid Electrolyte Groups, Asociate Researcher (Ikerbasque Fellow) CIC Energigune, Basque Country, Spain
- Vocal: Prof. Maria Ibañez, Assistant Professor, Functional Nanomaterials, Institute of Science and Technology (IST) Austria