Post-Doctoral Research Associate for the Coherent Soft X-ray Scattering (CSX) beamline in Brookhaven National Laboratory
Brookhaven National Laboratory is looking for a Post-Doctoral Research Associate for the Coherent Soft X-ray Scattering (CSX) beamline. The successful candidate will lead experiments on innovative 2D artificial structures in collaboration with Harvard University and the Center for Functional Nanomaterials at BNL.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world.
Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) is a new research facility operating at Brookhaven National Laboratory, a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. The NSLS-II seeks an exceptional Post-Doctoral Research Associate to lead the investigation on a new Quantum Information Science project, using the Coherent Soft X-ray Scattering (CSX) beamline. The CSX beamline, fully operational for more than 3 years, is the world leading instrument in resonant soft x-ray coherent scattering and is ideal for investigating electronic orderings and their inhomogeneity.
The successful candidate will lead experiments on innovative 2D artificial structures in collaboration with Harvard University and the Center for Functional Nanomaterials at BNL. The successful candidate will investigate the structural and electronic properties of these materials, leading to a better understanding of their potential use as future qubits for quantum calculations. The successful candidate will take the lead in planning and preparing the experiments, in managing and analyzing the data.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A Ph.D. in an appropriate discipline (Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science, or related fields) within the past 5 years;
- A good understanding of solid state physics and their electronic properties;
- Ability to interact effectively in a team environment, with a diverse group of scientists, engineers, technical staff, and users;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Preferred background and experience:
- Experience with x-ray, electron or neutron diffraction, and coherent scattering techniques;
- Demonstrated experience in data analysis and data reduction;
- Demonstrated capability of working independently, good organizational, analytical skills and work planning capabilities;
- Significant Python programming experience or similar skills and a willingness to contribute to the development of NSLS-II data analysis tools in an open-source, collaborative environment;
- Proven abilities of disseminating research by writing papers and giving academic talks.
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
- Hits: 3563