The Advanced Technology Liquefiers (ATLs) "are a cryo-cooler based helium liquefier. The ATLs are lab-scale and mobile devices that allow you to recover and liquefy the helium gas currently being lost from the normal boil off and helium transfers of you cryogenic instruments."
Now, with both ATL 160 QuantumDesign liquefiers, we will be able to produce up to 50 liters/day (instead of the 25 liters/day that we currently had). This will be hopefully enough to satisfy our Helium needs!
Before having the liquefiers, the Helium was lost by evaporation, and we could not reused it, so we had to buy more liquid Helium bottles. The liquefiers are a great investment to reduce our Helium purchases.
Bernat Bozzo, in charge of the Low Temperatures and Magnetometry Service, with our first ATL160 Helium Liquefier
Specifications of the ATL 160 equipment:
- Average Liquefaction Rate: 22 liters/day (0.92 liters/hr)*
*Liquefaction rates vary based on input helium quality and pressure.
- Dewar Capacity: 160 liters
- System Dimensions (L x W x H): 104 x 76 x 151 cm
- Compressor Package Model: Split-air-cooled or water-cooled
- Typical Power Consumption and Voltage Range: 6.5 - 7.5 kW; high & low voltage available
- Gaseous Helium Requirement: Flow Rate: 0 - 25 SLPM (0 - 0.88 SCFM); Industrial Quality He (99.999%); 0-10 psi
- Fully Automated Touch Panel Control
*Cover Photo by Bernat Bozzo.