Congratulations, Dr. Lei Gan! New ICMAB graduate!
Doctor Lei Gan from the Inorganic Materials & Catalysis Group (LMI) at ICMAB defended his PhD thesis entitled "Design, Synthesis and Applications of V-shaped Polycarboxylate meta–Carborane-Based Metal-Organic Frameworks" on Tuesday, 22 September 2020. The PhD Thesis Defense was supervised by ICMAB Researcher José Giner.
Figure: Jose Giner (supervisor) and Lei Gan, before defending the PhD Thesis.
The PhD Committee was formed by Daniel Ruiz Molina (Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (ICN2), Spain), Ana Eva Platero Prats (Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (UAM), Spain) and David Fairen Jimenez (Department of Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology, University of Cambridge, UK).
Lei Gan came to the ICMAB with a scholarship from China. Now that he has finished his PhD Thesis, he says that he will "miss everything and everybody at the ICMAB". If you want to know more about his PhD experience, continue reading:
- Why did you choose the ICMAB for your PhD?
Because ICMAB is famous for its materials science and I wanted to pursue my PhD research in a topic related with material science.
- How would you explain your research to a non-scientific audience?
Briefly, my research is about porous materials that can be used for adsorption of different chemical molecules.
- What are the main applications of your research? Could you give us an example?
Adsorption and separation. For example, the materials we synthesized, called metal-organic-frameworks (MOFs), can adsorb selectively biobuthanol and separate it from acetone/buthanol/ethanol (ABE) mixtures.
- From the lessons learnt here, which one do you value the most?
The laboratory training courses are the most important one for me.
- What will you miss the most from ICMAB?
Everything! Especially the friends I met at ICMAB, the people in my group, my supervisor and so on.
- How do you think this experience will contribute to your training and to your future?
It is a very important phase for my training and my furture.
- What are your plans once you finish your PhD?
I plan to do research as a postdoctoral fellow.
- What do you wish you had known at the beginning of your PhD, that now you can recommend to the ones who are starting?
Make a plan and set a goal for your PhD study as soon as possible.
- Why did you become a scientist? Which have been your role models?
I always wanted to become a scientist when I was young. My role model is Stephen Hawking.
- Which is your favourite female scientist?
- Describe in 3 keywords…
* Your research: carborane, MOF, stability
* Barcelona: food, sea, sunshine
* Your experience at ICMAB: memorable, pleasant, busy
Congratulations, Doctor Lei Gan!
PhD Congrats, 2020