I obtained the Physics Degree at the University of Barcelona (1999), and got the PhD in the Applied Physics and Optics Department, University of Barcelona (2003). The thesis work was based on the laser processing of titanium. Later, I joined ICMAB as research laboratory technician (2004) being responsible of the scanning probe microscopy scientific-technical service. In 2009 I got a tenured scientist position at ICMAB and created the laser processing research group (2010). I am specialist in:
- Processing of functional nanomaterials by the laser techniques: pulsed laser deposition (PLD), laser processing and structuring, matrix assisted pulsed laser evaporation (MAPLE) and laser direct writing (LDW).
- Study of laser-matter interactions. Numerical simulation of photothermal processes.
- Surface analysis of functional nanoscale materials by scanning probe microscopies (SPM), mechanical measurements (LFM, force spectroscopy), electrical (CSAFM, EFM, PFM, KFM), magnetic (MFM) and electrochemical (ECAFM).
- Physical and chemical characterization of materials by complementary techniques: scanning and transmission electron microscopies (SEM, TEM), profilometry, X-ray diffraction (XRD), Raman spectroscopy, X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS) and IR spectroscopy (FTIR).
- Functional characterization: spectrophotometry, electric properties (IV, 4-probe / van der Pauw resistivity), electrochemistry (cyclic voltammetry, chronoamperometry / potenciometry, electrochemical impedance spectroscopy).
I am author of 80 ISI quoted research publications (49 of them Q1), with around 1600 citations in international journals and books (average of 140 cites/year in last 5 years), and h index 20 (ISI). I have participated in 14 research projects and more than 60 presentations to national / international conferences. I am also an official referee at 5 international journals with known reputation, and I participated in the organization of 5 national and international conferences in the field of nanoscience and materials science. I have been the manager of the scanning probe microscopy scientific-technical service of the Institute of Materials Science of Barcelona in the 04/2004-03/2016 period, and I am also the group leader of the laser processing research group of this institute. Finally, I have supervised 15 student works ranging PhD and master thesis, degree and internship training works.
The research lines are focused on the manufacture of improved functional nanomaterials through innovative laser techniques, to be applied mainly in the fields of energy (supercapacitors, batteries, generation of H2) and environment (photocatalysis). The current areas of work are:
- Laser processing of nanocomposites based on carbon nanostructures (nanotubes, graphene derivatives): structural transformation and laser direct transfer. The group has succeeded for the first time in the international research community synthesizing hybrid nanocomposites based on vertically aligned carbon nanotubes and reduced graphene oxide with transition metal oxides nanostructures by direct laser irradiation.
- Deposition and growth of nanocomposites by MAPLE and LDW techniques. The group has been one of the first in the international framework for controlled deposition of nanoparticles thin films, RNA, proteins, CdSe / ZnS quantum dots, carbon nanotubes, and graphene-based compounds by MAPLE. This technique allows modifying the structure and chemical composition of the materials to be deposited, leading to the improvement of their functional properties.
The scientific and technical objectives in the medium / long term are oriented towards innovation in laser techniques for obtaining new materials with improved performance, as well as the implementation of these technologies in next generation devices and industrial processes.
Our investigations were recognized as outstanding by the International Association of Advanced Materials and I was awarded with the “International Association of Advanced Materials Scientist Medal (IAAM Scientist medal) for the year 2016”.
 A. Pérez del Pino, A. Martínez Villarroya, A. Chuquitarqui, C. Logofatu, D. Tonti, E. György
“Reactive laser synthesis of nitrogen doped hybrid graphene-based electrodes for energy storage”
Journal of Materials Chemistry A 6, 16074, 2018
 D. Kepić, S. Sandoval, A. Pérez del Pino, E. György, A. Gómez, M. Pfannmoeller, G. Van Tendeloo, B. Ballesteros, G. Tobias
“Selective laser-assisted synthesis of tubular van der Waals heterostructures of single-layered PbI2 within CNTs exhibiting carrier photogeneration”
ACS Nano 12, 6648, 2018
 A. Pérez del Pino, A. González-Campo, S. Giraldo, J. Peral, E. György, C. Logofatu, A. J. deMello, J. Puigmartí-Luis
“Synthesis of graphene-based photocatalysts for water splitting by laser-induced doping with ionic liquids”
Carbon 130 (2018) 48-58
 A. Pérez del Pino, E. György, I. Alshaikh, F. Pantoja-Suárez, J. L. Andújar, E. Pascual, R. Amade, E. Bertran-Serra
“Laser-driven coating of vertically aligned carbon nanotubes with manganese oxide from metal organic precursors for energy storage”
Nanotechnology 28 (2017) 395405
 D. Kepić, S. Sandoval, A. Pérez del Pino, E. György, L. Cabana, B. Ballesteros, G. Tobias
“Nanosecond laser-assisted nitrogen doping of graphene oxide dispersions”
Chemical Physics and Physical Chemistry 18, 935-942, 2017
 A. Pérez del Pino, E. György, S. Hussain, J. L. Andújar, E. Pascual, R. Amade, E. Bertrán
“Laser nanostructuration of vertically aligned carbon nanotubes coated with nickel oxide nanoparticles”
Journal of Materials Science 52, 4002-4015, 2017
 A. Queraltó, A. Pérez del Pino, M. de la Mata, J. Arbiol, M. Tristany, X. Obradors, T. Puig
“Ultrafast Epitaxial Growth of Functional Oxide Thin Films by Pulsed Laser Annealing of Chemical Solutions”
Chemistry of Materials, 28, 6136-6145, 2016