The ICMAB project YouMaker at EspaiCiència of the "Saló de l'Ensenyament" 2022
ICMAB researchers prepared some interactive experiments to show the spectacular properties of our magnetic, fluorescent and superconducting materials, to the young attendees of the festival.
After two years without the Saló de l'Ensenyament, this 2022 the Saló was back! And ICMAB could not miss it.
ICMAB researchers were present at EspaiCiència, organized and coordinated by the Catalan Foundation for Research and Innovation (FCRI) within the Saló de l'Ensenyament, an initiative to make the young students aware of the research and innovation that is being carried out in the Catalan universities, research centers, companies, and professional organizations.
This year, the activities at EspaiCiència were interactive and stimulating experiments to attract visitors and increase their interest and curiosity in science and technology. Scientific demonstrations, workshops and other interactive activities allow researchers to show and share their research with young students.
The action is part of the need to stimulate young people's interest in science and technology in order to encourage future vocations for scientific and / or technological training.
Judith Oró and Anna Crespi, from the Scientific and Technical Services at ICMAB, were in charge of the event on Thursday, 17 March 2022, from 12 to 2 PM. In the framework of the project "YouMaker: així es fa la ciència", they did some demonstrations to show some properties of the materials, like the magnetism of matches, the fluorescence of chlorophyll, or the conductivity of graphite. The YouMaker project is in collaboration with the Fundacion Española para la Ciencia y la Tecnología - Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación.
Cornelia Pop, Pedro Barusco and Aiswarya Kethamkuzhi, from the Superconducting Materials and Large Scale Nanostructures (SUMAN) group, were in charge of the event on Saturday, 19 March 2022, from 9:30 to 11:30 am. These reserachers showed the attendees the levitating properties of superconducting materials, when cooled down to liquid nitrogen temperatures, and explained them the phenomena behind these materials.
ICMAB has participated in the Saló de l'Ensenyament for many years, showing young students the amazing properties of our materials. It is also a great pleasure to participate at this event, since there are always a high number of public interested in materials science and in the properties and capabilities of the materials of the future.
About EspaiCiència 2022
EspaiCiència, organized by the Catalan Foundation for Research and Innovation (FCRI) as part of the Saló de l'Ensenyament with the aim of bringing science and technology closer to young people and to encourage vocations towards STEM careers, reconfigured its design in 2022 to become a multi-workshop space with a continuous program of workshops and scientific demonstrations, by 17 Catalan universities, research centers and research organizations, from March 16 to 20, throughout the duration of the festival (Pavilion 1, Level 0, Street F, Stand 413).
This FCRI science outreach space for young people aged 15 to 18 began its presence at the Saló de l'Ensenyament in 2009. In this year's edition it hosted more than twenty presentations and workshops from universities, research centers, companies and other scientific entities, with a program of activities and interactive scientific experiments to promote scientific and technical vocations.
The new spatial design will allow students to explore their scientific side through an immersive experience in a multidisciplinary and modular space, with parallel attention spans and multiple experiments. Thus, EspaiCiència will show live the science that is done in Catalonia in a practical, attractive and close way, through a rigorous and playful orientation at the same time. The idea is to make science attractive, seeking to fascinate visitors with the scientific research and its professional potential.
- Centre de Documentació de Biodiversitat Vegetal (CRAI UB)
- Centre d’Estudis Demogràfics (CED)
- Escola d’Enginyeria de Telecomunicació i Aeroespacial de Castelldefels (EETAC-UPC)
- Facultat de Física de la Universitat de Barcelona (UB)
- Geociències Barcelona (GEO3BCN-CSIC)
- Institut de Bioenginyeria de Catalunya (IBEC)
- Institut Cartogràfic i Geològic de Catalunya (ICGC)
- Institut de Ciència de Materials de Barcelona (ICMAB-CSIC)
- Institut de Diagnosi Ambiental i Estudis de l’Aigua (IDAEA-CSIC)
- Institut Químic de Sarrià (IQS)
- Institut de Recerca en Energia de Catalunya (IREC)
- Museu d’Arqueologia de Catalunya (MAC)
- Universitat de Girona (UdG)
- Universitat de Lleida (UdL)
- Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC)
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) – Departament d’Enginyeries
- Universitat Rovira i Virgili (URV)
- L’EspaiCiència reconfigura el seu disseny i es converteix en un espai multitaller amb un programa continu d’experiments (FCRI, 14 March 2022)
- EspaiCiència 2022
- PHOTOS of the participation of ICMAB at EspaiCiència 2022
- The Superconducting Materials group at the "Saló de l'Ensenyament" 2019 (ICMAB, 21 March 2019)
Con la colaboración de la Fundación Española para la Ciencia y la Tecnología - Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación.