The project "The energy of the future: from the lab to the classroom" has been awarded with a FGCSIC "Cuenta la Ciencia" grant
"The energy of the future: from the lab to the classroom"
The objective of our proposal is to bring cutting edge research in the field of energy from the research centers to the classrooms. We will do it in a way that is attractive to students, with real (simplified) experiments that we carry out in the research center, the Institute of Materials Science of Barcelona (ICMAB-CSIC). We intend to connect science and experimentation with current research centers and show science as something alive, in continuous progress and as a tool for the advancement and improvement of society.
Some of the topics to be addressed in the project concern:
- Flexible, semi-transparent and colorful photovoltaic energy
- Emerging technologies for the conversion of heat into electricity (thermoelectricity)
- The use of photonic crystals to manipulate light and increase energy absorption
- Advances in the second generation batteries, which affect the sustainability of raw materials by replacing lithium with calcium or sodium
- New trends in the use of superconducting materials to increase efficiency in transport and energy generation.
The project will include the creation of material and experiments for the school teachers and students, the sessions with the schools (around 10 schools), a closing ceremony in December 2020 with a scientific show with all its participants, and some communication and outreach material to disseminate the project.
Funbrain is a science outreach company that brings science to the schools since 2004. Funbrain has been generating and executing projects for children and young people between 4 and 16 years old since 2004, to disseminate science, and to promote positive attitudes that educate in values, in a relaxed, attractive and fun way. Some of its collaborators include other research centers, schools, town halls, foundations, etc.
Its mission is to build an "Educated Society" where the school, the public sector and the companies work together to promote and disseminate knowledge, inside and outside the classrooms.
If you are a school teacher, or are interested in participating in this project, please contact us (amay[at]icmab.cat)!
- Tercera edición de Cuenta la Ciencia, convocatoria de ayudas para fomentar la cultura científica
- Resolución de la III convocatoria de ayudas Cuenta la Ciencia
- Hits: 531